This 7-day ultimate Rwanda Safari takes you to Akagera National Park, where you will visit and spot various wildlife species –enjoy the spectacular views on a boat cruise along Lake Ihema. Visit the Volcanoes National Park for Golden Monkey, Mountain Gorilla trekking. Thereafter, visit Nyungwe National park, a home to 13 primate species such as Chimpanzees, endangered Golden monkeys, Blue Monkeys, colobus, red tailed monkeys and grey checked mangabeys. There are also about 300 bird species and a variety of habitats including montane forests, bamboos, grasslands, and swamps, alongside memorable canopy walk.
Day 1 – Arrival at Kigali International Airport – Transfer to Akagera National Park
Upon your arrival at Kigali International Airport, our safari guide will be waiting for you. You will be welcomed by our guide and then transfer you to Akagera National Park, a home to various wildlife species such as; elephants, buffaloes, zebras among others. Stay overnight at your choice of accommodation –that is Akagera Game Lodge/Ruzizi Tented Camp. Meal Plan: H/B.
Day 2 –Game Drive & Boat Cruise
Rise for an early morning breakfast, thereafter go to the early morning game drive searching for some of the big 5 of Africa which include the lions, buffaloes, elephants, leopards and other wildlife species like the warthogs, antelopes, water and bush bucks, Kob, topi. This experience takes 3-4 hours and after return to lodge for lunch, and then in the afternoon drive to the starting point of the boat ride along the lake Ihema and on this cruise expect to spot wildlife and birds and they provide stunning photographs. Return to lodge for dinner and overnight. Meal plan: F/B
Day 3 – Transfer to Volcanoes National Park
Have breakfast and after embark the safari vehicle and transfer to volcanoes national park via Kigali with lunch en-route and then dinner and overnight at Mountain Gorilla View Lodge/Virunga Safari Lodge/La plame Lodge. The journey is on good roads and you will quickly see why Rwanda is known as the Land of 1000 Hills. Winding roads leave up steep hills through Kigali.
Look down below you and you will see agricultural Rwanda, a land of densely cultivated paddy fields and animals grazing. You will drive through Ruhengeri, with its stunning backdrop of five volcanic mountains – the Virungas – arriving for dinner and overnight at your lodge. This place is best known as being the home of Rwanda’s mountain gorillas. Meal plan: F/B
Day 4 –Gorilla Trekking Safari + Dian Fossey Center Visit.
Rise up very early in the morning and have breakfast and thereafter proceed to volcanoes national park, and head straight to the park offices for briefing about the gorillas and allocation of gorilla groups and guides. Thereafter get into the tropical rain forest and search for the mountain gorillas starting from where they were the previous day until you find them. You will find them doing their daily chores of feeding their young ones, climbing trees and others just relaxing.
Take your best photographs having switched off your flash. This whole exercise takes a maximum of 1 hour and then returns to the park offices for your gorilla tracking certificate. Return to the hotel for lunch and some relaxation. Then in the evening visit the Dian Fossey center and from here experience the conservation effort she did to save these endangered mountain gorillas in the mist and it was due to these gorillas that she lost her life and she was buried in this forest! Return to lodge for dinner and overnight. Meal plan: F/B.
Day 5 – Transfer from Volcanoes National Park to Nyungwe Forest National Park
Have breakfast at the sunrise and thereafter embark the safari vehicle and transfer to Nyungwe forest, a 4 -5 hours drive and on your way to this forest have your lunch en-route, visit to some genocide memorials, then upon your arrival check in at Nyungwe forest lodge/Nyungwe top hill lodge/Gisakura guest house for dinner and overnight to prepare for the morning activity. Meal plan: F/B
Day 6 –Chimpanzee Trekking & Canopy Walk
Rise for an early morning breakfast before you head to the park headquarters for briefing about the dos and don'ts of Chimpanzee trekking adventures. We will then drive for an hour to the start of the trails and after enter the jungle to search for the primates, which can last for 3-4 hours.
While on this trail, expect to spot other primates like the white and black colobus monkeys, Vervet monkeys, redtailed monkeys and the mangabeys, and various species of birds. Once found spend one hour with them and return to the lodge for lunch and then in the evening take the canopy walk looking for other primates and bird species in the clear green canopy cover. Return at your hotel for dinner and overnight as mentioned above. Meal Plan: F/B.
Day 7: Nyungwe Forest to Kigali
After Morning Breakfast at the lodge, you will transfer back to Kigali with lunch en-route & in case you arrive in time in Kigali, you will go for shopping and later be dropped at the airport for your return flight back home. Meal Plan: H/B.
< End of the safari >
- Prices are valid for 2018 and can change in 2019.
- The Gorilla trekking included in this safari depend on the availability of gorilla trekking permits at the time of booking. These permits are strictly limited and sold out in advance, especially during peak seasons of Christmas and school holidays. We therefore strongly recommend booking early.
- The safari indicated here is essentially an offer. Changes in the course of the journey, the duration of your tour, the numbers oftravellers, as well as the choice of accommodation are subject to availability, although we always endeavour to stick as closely as possible to this programme. For the majority of itineraries, we can offer luxury, midrange or budget versions of this safari upon request.
- Sometimes it is not possible to adhere to the travel plan as described in this itinerary, due to weather and road conditions, authority regulations, organizational requirements, etc. Occasionally, the planned route of the tour has to change according to the situation on the ground. We must therefore explicitly refuse liability for adherence to the journey plan.
- By booking this safari, the client accepts Paradise Safaris’ terms and conditions of business, available to read on our web site.
- For FAQs, including what equipment to bring for your Gorilla tracking, please visit our website.
- All accommodation full board and meals as stated.
- Transport (4WD) and Fuel for the whole trip plus a full time safari guide
- Game drives and launch cruises as stated, activities in Jinja as stated.
- Park entrance charges
- Airport transfers
- Boat rides
- Guided nature walks
- Water throughout the trip
- All expenses of personal nature
- Airfare to Rwanda.
- Rwanda Visa
- Luxury Drinks & laundry.
- Tips to local guides
- Porter fee while trekking
- Personal insurance
- Personal shopping bills